Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August Sum Up.

What a crazy crazy month. I finished my externship in July and played the waiting game to get a job at TVC. I started there officially on the 17th. Today Travis and I enrolled in Banner Benefits. Hopefully, we picked good. If not, annual open enrollment where we can change our plans is in November. By then we should have an idea as to whether or not the options we picked will fit our needs appropriately. I've also got a 401K started, and Travis and I each opted in for life insurance. Whats with that? Makes me feel old.

Travis has been BUSY BUSY BUSY with work projects, church projects and personal entertainment projects. He and his Co-worker Andre created a video ad for the UAF OIT department website. Their due date was to have it ready for sharing at student Orientation. Travis did very good, worked very hard, and has impressed alot of people. He'll tell you it didn't come out like he wanted it to. :-P Some of the coaches have asked him to help them with end of season highlights when the time comes, and offered payment. Pretty neat. Work oppourtunities are opening up for him as well as graduation gets closer. He might take a job as an OIT trainer for UAF, in which he would become staff next semester. That would allow both of us to pursue further education for free, more health coverage, and in the long run, free tuition for children. IDK if he'd stay there that long though, the appeal of a career at Lucas Film is also a pulling influence. Options options options.

Our Future is looking bright.

I also got to look bright this month while participating in "Dancing with the Fairbanks Stars." Let it be known that though we didn't "place" in the final scores, we came in 2nd on judges scores behind a Theatre Arts routine, and tied with another theatre arts routine, both of which were professionally choreographed. That made me feel pretty good. Also, in the overall vote, we were in 4th place, and raised 900+ dollars. Any other year, 900 would have gotten us into at least 2nd, but this year we had very sucessfull couples who raised 2500 before the show got started. Again, I feel pretty happy with myself.
Classes start tomorrow. Which is exciting, and for me intimidating. I've already posted my fall agenda....Travis also has a full schedule of classes and work. The most intimidating part is transportation and keeping my sanity between the different roles I'm taking on. I have faith that Heavenly Father will help us survive. I believe that as I'm given the oppourtunity to practice my time management skills, as long as I keep the most important things in veiw, he'll make my weaknesses strong and carry me through.


On a More somber note, there were two fatal accidents here in Fairbanks yesterday. The more heartbreaking of the two involved a 11 yo boy who was struck by a SUV while walking to school. I'll be interested to see tomorrows headline as today was the day the driver was being arraigned at court for manslaughter and reckless driving. I've been particularly interested in this story as I've had access to some of the details not released publicly-and it just brings a great deal of respect for the healthcare workers involved in his case, and a great deal of sympathy for the family. A bit of empathy as well. Things like this bring back memories. I'm thankful for the blessings of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and for the great plan of happiness. I know that families are forever, and that in trials such as this, there is comfort and peace in the eternal principles of the preisthood and ressurection. That family will have their son again.

On a more joyful note, This upcoming month, I'm pretty excited. Travis and I will reach our 6 month mark on get this, *a full moon.* I think thats pretty special considering he proposed on a full moon lunar eclipse. Any romantic ideas out there? We'll both be pretty busy surrounding the day, but I wanna do something special.

No comments: