While out there shoveling by the light of overcast cloudy skies, and with fresh snowing falling, Travis and I put in some genuine labor, side by side, and I couldn't have been more content. The temperatures are about 11 degrees above zero, and we both ended up taking off our gloves and our hats because of sweating. Due to the recent cold snaps the snow was a very loose powder once you got under the clumps that had been rained on in the really warm spell (30-40 degrees) we had earlier this week, so warm that on Tuesday they even cancelled school for treacherous roads.
While shoveling such a huge amount of snow, you get really efficient pretty fast, and when we both paused to catch our breath from throwing, I asked him if he thought I was a real Alaskan girl yet. Puzzlement in his voice, the conversation went as follows:
Trav: "Do you need validation or something?"
Me: "No, I just want you to be impressed."
Trav: "I'm always impressed with you" (okay, everyone, big awwwwe)
Me: "Okay, then it is the validation I want.
Both: Laughing
The thought sparked further thoughts as we returned to our work, lately I'm been considering putting out some applications and resumes and going back to a more formal/lucrative work situation. I realized that there, I really want a place that will give me my own sense of validation. I don't want to work for just who ever will hire me. I want to work in a place where I'm appreciated and able to please. Travis and I have also been toying with the idea of a dog when I'm through with allergy shots, and it always stands out to me when they say the breed is eager to please-I think deep down we all are. We want to impress the people around us because it validates our own personal sense of value. I really love watching the kids most days because I know I'm helping and making a difference (even if the kids don't acknowledge it, their parents do). One of the moms will tell me that her daughter thanks Heavenly Father for being able to come to my house and have fun at my house-often after I've felt like a failure that day, or week. Its very reassuring and validating that the work I am doing is important and meaningful.
Anyways, just some of my thoughts. I don't know what I'll do, I'm not really looking for advice. I'm gonna turn in resumes just to see what happens, and make a decision later.
On a side note, about that dog idea. when I'm through with allergy shots, and no longer allergic, we want a Great Dane, and I want him chocolate colored, and I want to name him Hagrid. Now that that dream is written, and public, don't steal it.
Anyways, that's the latest Payton gossip. Hope you have a good night, or day, whenever and wherever your reading this. Adieu.
No comments:
Post a Comment