I'm teaching Seminary again this week and after asking a question, they sit, and they wait for someone else to answer. And the kids that always answer know their own answers and don't want to be the kid that always answers but NO ONE else would speak up-until finally the kid who answers when no one else will stutters out an uncertain answer like they're under a microscope. I was thankful as a teacher for the eventual participation but part of me-the former seminary student part that went through this for 4 years was furious at the two or three who sat there either pretending to be asleep, or just silently staring like they didn't have a clue or were just too cool for participating-angry that Monday morning comes at 6:30.
Gosh, and I was fun today, with drawing and sound effects and energy. I woke up at 5:30 and got there on time, early even! And I was prepared. I stayed up studying-and planning. I kept the class on task and helped them pass their scripture mastery in a breeze.
*sigh*
Teenagers are rough.
1 comment:
Yeah, teenagers are rough, definitely. And I"m not saying they're not being rude (because they are), but I figured out a trick when I'm teaching: reframe the question. Meaning, don't ask questions with obvious answers. I remember as a teenager being asked dumb questions and feeling like my teacher must think I'm an idiot, why would I even bother to answer such an obvious question? (Of course, the teacher wasn't doing that, I was being a bratty teenager, but I"m just making a point). So as I teacher, I really try to move away from the obvious questions and ask ones that are either more open ended or opinion based, to promote thoughtful discussion. Just a suggestion (and again, nothing against your teaching, I"m sure you're great).
Post a Comment