Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Phlebotomy

This week in Clinicals was tough.  Why?  We did phlebotomy.

Backing up to Christmas time, I had my first emergency experience, and there was a point when I was rounding the corner and said "I know first aide" that I thought to myself, "Who am I?"  I mean, when did I become the authority in an emergency?  I had just barely gotten my CPR/First Aide certification, and wondered to myself "Who am I to know how to help this person who has collapsed on the floor?"  He was out of it and couldn't tell me how he felt, whether he could breath, what he needed, what had happened, and "how am I supposed to know what to do?" was literally what was running through my mind.

I had that thought again today.

Monday we were using Butterflies (smaller needles that can be used for smaller veins like in the wrist or hand-we used them in the arms though for practice) and though intimidating, I wasn't too bad.  I poked several people before I got any blood from D.  But, today we were using "straights."  That's the big needle that empties directly into the collection tube (butterflies have a hose that goes into the tube on the table) and I was terrified.  I had another surreal moment like the one in the emergency situation from December that made me question, "Who are you?"  I mean really, when did I become someone who knows how to draw blood.  I still don't feel like I do.  I thought to myself today "Who are you do take this big huge needle, and find their vein and then puncture their skin and draw their blood?"  Somewhere in the last few months I've become someone that my teachers have confidence in.  At the beginning of this program we were learning how to wash our hands.  Now we're being told, find the vein and put the tourniquet on, wash with alcohol swab and "go for it" we are to "stick the needle in, then put the tube in, then when your done, Tourniquet off, Tube out, and Needle out with a 4X4 to hold over the site and a band aid ready."  That is about all the instruction I feel I got on the subject and waBAM we're at it, poking each other, bruising each other and doctoring up the holes.  It is SO weird.




Things I learned:


When I'm the patient, they should just have juice ready when their done.  And I can't look.  No matter how hard I try, its better if I don't watch.

When I'm the Phlebotomist, I gotta breath.  And the veins are deeper than I think.

2 comments:

Anna Hernandez said...

You'll be fine in no time! I was thinking the same thing back then, but after a while the hands on stuff is really more entertaining to do than just reciting ..goodness, it's been so long I can't even remember what they're called! but you know what I mean haha. You'll be pro in a couple of days, and as long as the patients are willing it's a piece of cake. Now when THEY get nervous, that's when it's harder on you.. haha..

Lois said...

I was getting dizzy just reading this. Good luck!