So, after getting married and graduating from the branch, I was thinking how nice it would be to sit easy and not get a calling for a little bit (we have a reprieve for a short time because of General Conference and then two weeks later Stake conference-I'm thinking not much will change for the ward during that time since we're hardly meeting) but On Sunday as Travis and I were headed to Dinner with some friends (cuz that's what you do when your old and married-Sunday dinner with Friends) I got a phone call, and I answered it, and it was a lady from 2nd ward asking me If I could help a sister who just had a baby by taking her a meal on Tuesday or Wednesday. My first thoughts honestly:
Now I know I'm in a family ward
I just got here
I can barely come up with enough for Travis to eat, how am I supposed to feed someone else?
We really don't have the money/means to feed other people yet
All those conference talks were about Welfare
If I help and serve, Heavenly Father will take care of us
I wonder what Travis will say?
Then I agreed to take her dinner on Tuesday because my Tuesday class is cancelled this week (teacher had a family emergency)
I asked if the family had any allergies
To which the sister I was speaking with said "They don't handle Mushrooms well" and I replied "Awesome, I don't like mushrooms so I wouldn't have cooked something with them in it anyways." And then she gave me the address and the lady's phone number and it was all set.
Then I got to tell Travis about it.
His first reply: "we can't afford to feed ourselves"
My reply: "I know but all the talks were on welfare and service and taking care of each other, I'm doing this
on faith that by serving something will workout for us."
That was about it. It was all determined.
Then we're at dinner at our friends house-and the topic of mushrooms came up where I just mentioned the funny interchange I had had with the sister on the phone about mushrooms and the family I was going to take dinner to. Didn't say a word about mine and travis' fears. In fact earlier I had said how during the talk on welfare I turned to Travis and told him how blessed and rich I felt compared to the people starving and homeless in other corners of the world. And this sister who's house we're at just goes to her freezer and pulls out a bag of pre-prepared chicken Parmesan and said "This has pepper in it, so I can't eat it. I made it in February and it needs to be used. Take it to that sister on Tuesday." And then she gave us a disposable pan to cook it in so we didn't have to worry about coordinating dishes, and she started going through her cupboards giving us anything that had pepper in the ingredients and sent us home with a few days worth of leftovers from the dinner she had just fed us.
It hadn't even been two hours and the Lord definitely provided. We didn't even ask. He knew our need and knew our fear-I'm so grateful for the opportunity my dear RS president provided for me so I could serve and show Heavenly Father some Faith and Gratitude.
Pretty powerful lesson.
1 comment:
That's awesome Melanie! I know exactly how it feels to not really have enough for yourself, let alone helping others.. yet you feel so blessed that you can't NOT help haha. When the roll came around to sign up for babysitting/cooking meals, I decided why not. I haven't helped in a while. I had to do the same thing - cook a certain kind of meal, although this woman who got out of surgery couldn't really have any spices/salt at all. But I came up with something easy and somewhat cheap, and it felt really good in the end helping her. :) I love general conference! I think all the welfare talks were especially given to help inspire people to help others. Plus! you AND the friends you were eating with got to help out. Bonus! :)
Post a Comment