In other news, I finished the Family Practice and OBGYN portions of my externship. And, I bought myself a stethoscope! Its "Caribbean blue" and I love it. I feel more official. I also got my resume into TVC for the orthopedics position. I don't know much about orthopedics, but from the TVC website, the Orthopedic team of providers seems like a pretty cool group to work with.
As far as fun stories go, I got a great one out of Family Practice.
It was my last day in the department, and the girl I had followed all week had a family emergency and was out of the office. The girl who was filling in for her, was really hard to keep up with. She would just zip and zoom all over the place and I was left several times in the dust with nothing to do (cuz she did it all herself). So, at one of these points, I overheard Dr Day walking down the hall explaining to his MA "...Now this is a sterile procedure so you have to..." something something-idk, I didn't hear much after, "This is a sterile procedure." and having been left in Stephanie's dust with nothing to do, I quickly asked Dr Day if I could observe. After all, I'm going to be assisting and setting up sterile procedures for people in the future. So he brought me in and told the patient "This is another student, is that alright with you?" The patient consented, and then I quickly realized what procedure it was. I was about to witness a vasectomy. Oh boy.
I was doing fine till about 1/2 the way through, there was alot of pulling and tugging and my head started feeling really warm, and my ears really full, and I realized I needed to take a seat. The Dr, assured the patient that there was very little blood, and knowing me from outside of the office (as I'm good friends with his Daughter) also added a side note. He told the patient "She only been married, what, 6 months?"
I replied, "Less than that, we got married in March"
"Oh ok," Dr Day remarked, then stated, "Anyway, she hasn't been married long enough, she's not mad yet, she's still sympathetic."
hahahaha.
So funny.
What wasn't so funny,
In OB, there was so many hormones, my personal cycle reset. Not cool.
I realized after two days there, that its not my favorite department. Probably one of my least favorites. I mean, I thought I would really enjoy it, but-no offense intended to anyone, there's alot of really tired, uncomfortable, pregnant ladies about to deliver. Its perfectly understandable, I mean, they have these demanding little humans growing inside them, which I think is the neatest thing ever, but to work with the expecting mothers and hear every single one of them offer this complaint or that complaint all day long, it was too much for my well of sympathy. I think maybe someday after I have kids, it wouldn't be so bad, but if I were to stay there now at this time in my life, I don't think I would want kids. Don't get me wrong, babies are exciting, children make me SO happy, Travis and look forward to parenthood, and individually I have nothing against pregnant ladies or their vocalization of pregnancy woes. It was just seeing so many of them, one right after another, is too much for me to handle. And, I don't like how many pee cups I had to smell. Ick! I've never washed my hands so much as I did there. I mean, I know urine isn't a bio-hazardous material, but it smells, and its still gross.
Anyways, that's that. This coming week I finish my externship up at First care. So if any of you get sick, and can't get into your regular Doc, maybe I'll see you there! (Really, I would love to see you, but you don't have to get sick, lets go out for lunch or something!)
No comments:
Post a Comment