Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

All Dogs go to Heaven


Today we put down Kato, my mother in laws dog.  I don't consider myself a "dog person," allergic asthma has kinda always kept me from getting very emotionally involved in dogs especially, but Kato was a beautiful and gentle companion.  I have never known such a well behaved and happy and calm dog.  Granted, I only knew her for the later half of her life, but she was a gentle, sweet, loving companion, eager to please, and happy just to see you.  Today when we made it to North Pole, there was Kato to greet us, limping through the pain with a doggie grin on her face even though her tail was between her knees.  She has been hurting since last summer, and this winter we got the diagnosis of Bone Cancer.

When it came time she went very very peacefully.  The vet came to my mother in laws home, and walked us through everything, warning that there might be some movement and reflex breathing after Kato was already gone, but none of that happened.  We petted her and spoke loving words while the vet gave the tranquilizer, then we loved on her some more while that medication took effect and Kato got really sleepy and relaxed, then we kept telling her what a good girl she was while the vet gave her the overdose of medication that let her go.  Like I said, Eager to please, Kato just slipped away, no last gasps.  Very peacefully and agreeably.

It was interesting-it felt obvious when she slipped away.  There was life one moment while I was rubbing her ear, then I moved my hand away for a second, and when I reached back instictively to pet her and comfort her, it was just a hollow body.

Some of the scouts from my Mother in laws ward at church came to help with preparing for and assisiting with burying Kato, and before they covered her back up, my mother in law had a brother say a prayer, and it was surprising to me how much emotion I felt, and how comforting that prayer was.

It makes me happy that Kato is no longer in pain.  And that the next time I see her, I won't be allergic--so I'll burry my face in her fluffy neck and hug her tight.  Even now writing this, my emotions are getting to me, and that comes as a surprise.  But this song helps me feel better:

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.

4 comments:

DenaliL said...

Thank you for this, Melanie.

DenaliL said...

My family fell in love with Kato and it eases our sadness to know that it ended peacefully.
Prayers are with your family to help ease the feeling of losing a precious member of the family. <3

Melanie said...

Brigham and your dad were a huge help, and their help meant alot to us. Travis was a mess last night, and really didn't want to have to let her go, so again, their help was much appriciated, and everyones love and support is a great blessing. Cindy is taking it pretty hard, but when it was done, we all felt at peace, and know it was Kato's time. Your dad offered a beautiful prayer before we buried her, and that also was a great comfort. She was a good dog.

DenaliL said...

<3