Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

3 month Anniversary

That's right.  We've been married for 3 months as of today, Sunday, June 12th.  Its funny, every week when we go to Travis' parents house for dinner/to do Laundry, his dad asks me if I'm ready for an annulment yet.  He cracks me up (actually, I choose to be cracked up because I have no idea how else I'm supposed to respond to such an absurd question....anyways...)

I'm still working on stinking thank you cards.  Between school assignments and Laundry and cooking and chores, and taxiing Travis and I to and from school and work and home, they are coming along slowly.  But, they are coming, and so Thank You to all who have helped us out, and patiently awaited our formal Thank yous-I promise, they are coming.

I'm still trying to get into the swing of this cooking food or go hungry deal.  I don't know what I used to do, but the inexpensive way of eating is to buy parts of meals and then prepare them.  I don't really know how to put together a balanced meal regularly and have some variety in there.....but on the occasion that we do have a bit of every food group on the plate, we find the food goes further (we feel fuller while eating less-imagine that!).  So far, we've eaten alot of eggs in various ways (favorite is the eggs quesedillas I ate at Sids a bunch last summer) and we enjoy our very inexpensive Malt-O-Meal.  I had never really had it, but Travis showed me how he liked it prepared and now he says I'm better at making it than him (probably cuz I'm not shy with the brown sugar).  We also fell in love with Hamburger Helpers friend Chicken Helper, specifically the lemon chicken box.  When I have more time I fully intend to learn to make that without the box.

We've also attended 4 weddings since ours (Nicole+Alex Hansen, Jacob+Jung Ames, Kendra+Stephen Tibbs, and Shannon+Amber Telling), and let it be known we also tied the knot before the royal wedding (that makes 5 weddings since ours).

We've made a nice little home out of our nice little apartment.  Hosted a few guests (we wish we had more opportunity for this) and enjoyed watching the leaves come out and the beautiful Tanana valley go from white to brown to green.

Travis has a calling as an Elders Quorum Teacher-which he was humbled to receive.  Here he is Mr Newlywed asked to teach these men who have been married much longer, and who have raised children, held long laborious careers.  Travis is just the little guy.  Its going to be a good experience though.  He taught his first lesson today and people came up to him afterwards to tell him they enjoyed the lessons and that "it was the first time I was able to stay awake."  I've been called as a Primary Worker.  LOVE IT.  I always thought the primary was scary (still do really) because if your not prepared it can be pretty rough, but these kids are so sweet.  I've substituted the 3/4 year old classes, and lead singing time as a substitute once, doing that again next Sunday.  Its been fun.  What I'm most excited though about "Primary Worker" is my specific assignment to help with the Activity Day Girls.  Right now our numbers are pretty low because of summer vacations, but the girls I have met already are awesome and sweet.  They're excited to participate-I love that!  Also, the Sister I work with is pretty much amazing.  She's one of those people that you can't help but want to be like.  And her baby girl is adorable, has the ward wrapped around her finger-or at least me.  I think she's one of the cutest babies I've ever seen.

As for school, if you didn't know-we're both taking 6 week summer classes.  They are the same course as you would get in a full semesters length, but crammed in really fast.  Benefits and Problems to this.  It means homework is due faster-it also means that it only takes 6 weeks, so instead of suffering through a whole semester of English, I only have to suffer through 6 weeks of it.  In addition to English I have Pharmacology which I am taking so that I can finish school by December.  Travis is in a Calculus III course, and Ethics 300 level course, and an English Technical Writing course.  Plus he has his regular 20 hr work week.  So the poor guy is busy busy!  I've also started my Externship at TVC, and am loving it.  I've completed 24 of my 80 front office hours, and in July I'll finish my 100 back office hours.

*Disclaimer* I have seen many people I know come into the clinic.  I just want you to know you have no fear.  HIPPA prohibits me from even mentioning to anyone that I saw you there, let alone why you were there.  Of course, if you want to tell my mom you saw me there (like one couple did) then thats another story. But I cannot bring it up unless you bring it up.  So don't get offended if I don't say "HEY!  How are you?  I saw you at the clinic!  Feeling better?"  That would be against the law.  Its not that I'm not concerned, I'm just bound by law not to say anything.  capeesh?  But if you want to tell me "I'm feeling much better" and ask me how the rest of my workday went, thats fine.  *Disclaimer over*

Anyways, thats the goings on up here at the Payton Place.  Whats everyone else been up to?

2 comments:

Jordan and Amanda said...

So I went through the same thing with food for the first few years we were married. It's only been since we moved here and got into our more "traditional" husband and wife roles that I've really done the cooking thing, so seriously don't feel bad. I have some tricks for couponing if you want to hear them. They DO take time if you want to find the really good deals so you might have to decide what it's all worth it to you (with your guy's busy schedules it may just be a better idea to do what you can and not stress about coupons), but there are some fast tricks I can show you too. I'll also try to get some of my recipes together to give you. So... don't stress!

Melanie said...

YAY! Would love to learn fast cuponing!